You're homework tonight is to complete steps 1-6 of the Achievement Protocol for the Chapter 7-2 Summary. I have decided that you will skip 7-3. and we will do 7-4 in class, as groups. I have the steps listed below, along with a video. The video contains a 7th step, but you don't need to worry about that. Our focus is on steps 1-6.
The Achievement Protocol
STEP 1: DIVIDE YOUR PAPER INTO TWO COLUMNS
• Make the left column 1/3 the width of your paper, so that the right column is 2/3 the width of
your paper. This will look sort of like Cornell notes.
STEP 2: SCAN THE TEXT FOR KEY TERMS/ NAMES/ WORDS YOU DON’T KNOW AND DEFINE THEM
• Write the words in the left column & define them in the right column
• Skip a line or two on your paper between words in order to leave room for
• This should include bold terms, as well as non-bold terms that need defined
• For people, you are trying to figure out their position or importance
• Many of these will be on the chapter flashcards on the chapter resource page.
STEP 3: READ THROUGH THE DOCUMENT WITHOUT TAKING NOTES, BUT YOU NEED TO FOCUS
• This should be a focused read
• When you do this at home, you should not have the TV on or your phone near you (maybe put it
in another room)
• If you somehow “space out” and realize you made it to the bottom of a page without actually
recalling what you read, start the page over. You were not focused in that first reading.
STEP 4: NOW RE-READ WITH A HIGHLIGHTER, AND CONSTRUCT A HULK SUMMARY
• Highlight the “important words” so that you are constructing sentences that communicate the
ideas, but are not grammatically correct
• When you re-read what you highlighted, it should sound as if the Incredible Hulk has summarized the chapter for you.
• DO NOT highlight more than 3-5 words in a row.
STEP 5: COPY WHAT YOU HIGHLIGHTED INTO THE RIGHT COLUMN OF YOUR NOTES
• Adjust the phrasing as needed
• Repetition is key to learning.
STEP 6: MAKE SURE YOU ARE ANSWERING THE FOCUS QUESTIONS/ ACHIEVING THE OBJECTIVES/ ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS ON THE WORKSHEET
• Are the answers to the focus questions found in your notes? Write the question down in the left column next to where it is answered in the right column.
• Here's a brilliant idea: Highlight the first focus question and the answer in your notes in the same color. Go down to the next question. Grab a different color highlighter and repeat.
Using these to Study
If you fold your notes along the line between the two columns so that the questions are on one side and the answers are on the other, you have instant flashcards. You could read through them alone, with a friend (quiz each other) or have a parent quiz you.
I made a video of this last year. I was a little tired when I recorded and may have rambled a bit. Still, it's pretty good. Remember, you can ignore step 7, that's just for the AP classes.